A Letter To The Motherless On Mother’s Day

For More Great Blogs Visit Motherless Daughters On Facebook!

Today sucks, I know. It’s going to be hard. But so is every other day since you have lost your mother. There is absolutely no love in this world like the love of a mother. There is a void that cannot and will not ever be filled, no matter what anybody tells you. You don’t miss her today any more than you will tomorrow, or the next day, or the day after that.  Today, Mother’s day, is just another painful reminder that she is no longer physically here. As you watch friend’s  celebrate with their mom’s, please remember that yours is tucked away deep down in your heart where she will forever stay.  As the wind blows through your hair, know that it is her gentle and loving touch. As the warmth of the sun shines on your face please remember the warmth in your mother’s heart through all of the days she had on this earth. She didn’t want to ever leave you and she still hasn’t left you. Your mother was greater than this world. I know sometimes life just doesn’t seem fair and it never will but please, please, don’t cry today, for your mother would want nothing more than to see you smile. I feel the pain within your heart as another day passes by without her. She doesn’t want you to be sad. She wants you to honor her life in the best way possible, and that way is to live it. Live it for you. Live it for her. I know it is sometimes easier said than done and sometimes words just don’t help and I know this because I lost my beautiful 48 year old mother almost four years ago when I was just 24. I have come to find that the best way to heal is to remember. Remember her. Remember the sorrow, remember the love, remember everything. Talk to her, she’s always listening. And simply cherish the time you did have with her and the memories you have made.  I want you to know that on this day, you are not alone. You are never alone. All of our mother’s are watching over us from heaven this Mother’s Day… and every day, for the rest of our lives.

Happy Mother’s Day to all of the motherless out there. Today is your day, too. Celebrate her, start a new tradition, live life to the fullest, and most importantly remember that even through the darkest of days, life still goes on.

Purchase my NEW book Life Still Goes On

createspace-banner

Purchase my book Life Goes On..? Here

The true story of a mother’s undying love through her battle with cancer, treasures left behind after she is gone, and the realization that even through the darkest of days, life goes on..

51-xceon1bl-_sx311_bo1204203200_

108 thoughts on “A Letter To The Motherless On Mother’s Day

1. Elaine

The Lord blessed my family with the most wonderful, loving mother and she stayed with us until she was 92 yrs old. What a blessing to have had her so long. We still miss her but have many wonderful memories to be thankful for. We know she is resting with the Lord.

2. linda edge white

I lost my mom in 2014 at the age of 64 i was her only child and not only was she my mom but my best friend i miss her everyday but i know i will see her again.

Liked by 1 person

3. Christine Ojeda

My mom passed away May 13, 2014. That year happened to be the day after Mother’s Day. She died two weeks after being diagnosed with stage 4 Pancreatic cancer. We barely had enough time to take in that she was sick and before you knew it, we had to plan her funeral. Mother’s will never be the same, not only because I don’t have a mom, because the death of her anniversary is so close. I have my own children and will put on a smile for them and enjoy mother’s day for them, but deep down inside there’s a lot of pain and emptiness.

1. Nichole

I’m so sorry. We just lost my mom april 16 due to stage 4 pancreatic cancer. And her birthday is the 12th. It’s all such a helpless feeling.

2. Jessica

I’m so sorry! We lost my Mama on Sept 1, 2016, on my parent’s 4th anniversary to stage 4 pancreatic cancer. We got the final diagnosis on Aug 29th! Her 66th birthday would have been Sept 18th. I miss her beyond words! She was such a beautiful, Godly, loving woman! I really don’t even want mother’s day to come! My wedding anniversary is May 8th, we were married the day before mother’s day. My heart and prayers are with all of you who had to watch our loved ones pass from this horrible disease! God bless all of you on this day of remembrance!

4. Terri Jaso

Thank you so much for the letter! I lost my Mom on Sept. 10, 2015 at the age of 92 and not a day goes by that my heart aches for her to be here with me! I know she is always & forever will be in my heart! It’s hard but I have my good days & bad days! I talk to her constantly and can’t help but cry! I know she would want me to live my life to the fullest & I am truly trying to do that! I know I will be reunited with her & my Dad some day, so until that time comes I just want to tell her how much I Love & Miss Her!!

5. Brenna McSweeney

I lost my mom on October 30, 2006 to heart failure. She was diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time and this time was not curable. My mom was 54 years young when she passed and I was a day less then a month shy of my 22nd birthday.. My mom has been gone almost 10 years in October, now and there are many times where it is hard to talk about her. If she was still alive, she would have celebrated her 62th birthday on March 9th. I like your letter, it made me cry a little but in a good way.. There is not a day that goes by that I don’t miss her greatly. The thing I think I miss the most is when I need someone to talk to about my troubles and I want to speak to my mom, I can’t call her cause she won’t be there…. It sucks!!! If heaven had a phone that we could call to our loved ones…..I would call her the most, even if it’s just for five minutes.

6. karen

My mother passed away right after I graduated high school, in 1973. She was able to leave the hospital for a couple of days – then back in. My Mom passed away also on Sept. 10 1973 with breast cancer. My Dad was not in the ‘picture’, so it was just me and my brother who was 18 months older than me. I tried to keep myself together at the funeral and then let loose when I got home. I still Pray for her every day for the strength and love she had. I love and miss you Mom – Happy Mothers Day!!! Sissy

7. Linda Magill

Beautiful letter!, My mom passed away 11years ago on May 2nd unexpectedly from a Massive Heart attack we buried her the day before Mother’s Day in 2005, Its been rough my granddaughter who is named after my mom Virginia said she talked to her while she was in her mommy’s tummy. She would have been 74 this year, I know she watches over the family, In 2011 I went into Cardiac Arrest and was clinically dead for 18 mins. I thought it was the nurses or friends singing to me but they said no so I believe it was my mom

8. MARE

I just lost my mom on March 31,2016 and this will be my first mothers. Day without her. This is so hard to deal with right now.
    The emotions are so raw and fresh . all my siblings live in N.Y. and I live in Louisiana with just my husband, who just happened to get a bottle of whiskey today so he will stay drunk and passed out a!l weekend. I have to deal with my feelings all by myself. My sister and I plan to send balloons up to mom on Sunday. She will call me when she’s ready and we will let them go at the same time.

9. Ashley

I lost my mom when i was 15. I am now 30 years old. There isn’t a day that goes by where i dont miss her. She too dued from cancer, 5 months after she was diagnosed. It had spread throughout her body. There was a time i was jealous that others still had their mothers and i didn’t. Im passed that now. It was hard for a very long time after losing her. Now, ive just gotten used to the ache that lays within my heart from losing her. She is and always will be my mother even though she’s gone.

10. Danitra Qualls

I lost my mother January 24, 2015 very unexpectedly from a blood clot. I cry out for her everyday, she was my best friend. Feel so lost without her, just wish she was still here. My mother was 63 when she passed, feel so alone and will never see life the same.

11. Sherri Trexler

I lost my mom on February 13, 2009. Friday the 13th, 5 minutes before midnight on Valentine’s Day. Do you know how hard it is to order flowers on Valentine’s Day for your mother’s funeral? I didn’t think there were any left. Mom was 73 years old. In 2006, she was diagnosed with Stage IV pancreatic cancer. She fought just over 2 years and 4 months before she couldn’t fight anymore. She, too, was my best friend. Life has never been the same. I have no children, so Mother’s Day has become just another day to me.

12. Debbie Diddle

I recently lost my Mom on April 15, 2016 from Lung Cancer. I was lucky to have had her for so long, she was 86. This will be my first Mothers Day without her. Thank you for this wonderful post.

13. joanna

I lost my mom in September 2014, unexpectedly. I miss her every day more and more and wish more than anything to be able to have her back with me !! I miss you amd love you dearly mom ! ♡♡♡

14. Brenda

I lost my mom, my best friend on February 6th, 2000. There is not one day that I don’t think of her. She was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. That was 28 days before she died.i will never forget the sound of her taking that last breath….I remember begging her not to go, telling her that I still needed her… I will love her forever and I miss her always…. Happy Mother’s Day Mom ❤️

15. Sue Stephenson

I want to wish my Mom a Happy Mother’s Day after reading your letter that brought tears to my face. I miss my Mom so much and love her with all my heart. I so miss snuggling with her and whispering to her that “I Love You More”!! She was very special and loved her kids so much. She went without, so that she could give to us. I can’t wait to see her again…AND you too Dad!! XO

16. Karen Bk

I just turned 14, 3 days before she passed….. she was only 46 years old. sick 2 and 1/2 years with cancer throughout. Today I am 59 years old and its 46 years later and I still cry at her grave. I love and miss my mother so much. the time doesn’t make it go away or feel better. you learn to live without her. she never got to see or do anything.. she was taken way too young and I am still bitter to this day about that. spend as much time with mom and do everything today, because tomorrow is not promised for anyone….. happy mothers day mom… ❤

17. olivia

I lost my mom November 11, 2014. I was twelve. no one will ever understand the pain level this has brought me. because I’m still a kid, wanting her mother on Mother’s Day. I want to make her my little crafts I’d make her every year. and she won’t be hear to see me pass 8th grade this year and further, way more important events. and it sucks. a lot.

1. sherisscribbles

Oh sweetheart. I know your pain. I too lost my mom to cancer when I was 12. It will be 33 years next month. This will stay with you forever. I hope you find a way to use your pain to help others. I am a therapist and I know my mom is with me every day.

18. Frances

On May11 , 2004 My mom died of Breast Cancer. May 2016 will be 12yrs she’s been gone, it hurts so bad not too have your mom to talk to and to be there for you when no one else is. It’s gonna be hard on us this Mother’s Day. To those who mother is still living, Cherish her while she yet live because when she’s leave this earth that it . Tell her how much you love her and give her flowers, hugs and kisses. Because I know I truly missed mines!

19. Frances

On May11 , 2004 My mom died of Breast Cancer. May 2016 will be 12yrs she’s been gone, it hurts so bad not too have your mom to talk to and to be there for you when no one else is. It’s gonna be hard on us this Mother’s Day. To those who mother is still living, Cherish her while she yet live because when she’s leave this earth that’s it . Tell her how much you love her and give her flowers, hugs and kisses. Because I know I truly missed mines!

20. K.

Not all mothers love their children. Some of us had mothers who wounded us so deeply that we never recovered. Think about us before you go posting this sort of drivel.

1. Rockgal

I am sorry your Mom did that to you. However, some of us had good mothers that are now gone..and this time of the year can be hard. If you did not like what the author had to write…you
      did not have to read it. Just because you had problems with your mom does not mean this author can not write about her mom in hopes of helping herself and others get past a trying time. Telling her to not post her feelings because you had a bad mother is like telling someone they can’t eat because YOUR not hungry. If you don’t like it…don’t read it.

2. diane

Sometime when we are hurt we lash out in anger. I am very happy for the people who have happy memories of their mother. I lost my mother at the age of 4 so there are no memories to cherish.

3. Denise

I hear you K cause my mother devasted my life and left very deep wounds but we can not find fault in others who had loving mothers, they have the right to post how they feel this is what the forum is for just as you have posted your opinion. This is not drivel by any means. Take care and happy thoughts to you for the day ahead.

4. Trish

I’m sorry your memories are not good ones. However, you read the letter, and the comments thus far, AND decided to comment, albeit negative. Sometimes, I get angry when I’m really feeling pain. My Mother was not perfect, but, I miss her every day. I am painfully aware she is not here on Mother’s Day and other significant days. I hope you find peace and love to at least think of her as “Mom” It’s not an easy job.

21. Lisa Webb

I lost my Mom in September 2004 and I miss her so much each and every day! The first Mother’s Day without her was so HARD! I wanted to crawl under a rock and die myself but my Mom wouldn’t want that so I got up and sucked it up. It’s so true that I miss her everyday no matter what day it is. I am a mother myself and love it so much! One of the greatest things I’ve accomplished in my life. I do everything that I can to be happy on Mother’s Day for my sons. My mom would want me to be happy! She loved her grandchildren and would want us to celebrate the day! Sending hugs out to all the motherless children. FOr the ones that are still blessed to have your mom in your life PLEASE CHERISH each and everyday with them. All they want is for you to show them love!

22. Christine

My mom passed away in January and my dad 28 days later. No one can ever explain the true sadness of losing a mother (or father) until it happens to them. I miss them every single day ~ but take comfort in knowing the are together and at peace. I am fortunate to have two amazing sons, so, this Mother’s Day, although difficult, will be a day filled with gratitude and much love ~

1. LadySLR

Christine, I know how you feel. I lost my dad on 2/6/16 and my mother on 4/26/16. There isn’t a day goes by that I don’t think of my beloved parents and particularly my mom. I am comforted in the knowledge that they are both with their Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, and that they are together.

On this coming Mother’s Day, I wish us all comfort and peace. I also wish us all strength to get though the day!

Blessings!

23. diane

24. Eden Halfon

Thanks so much for writing this book, I would love to read it. I lost my mom when I was 24 also, she was just 60 years old. She passed 26 years ago in 1990, and I still miss her everyday. Mother’s Day is always very difficult for me even though I am fortunate to have 2 amazing and beautiful children.She passed away from breast cancer and never told her family, she dealt with it all on her own. I wish she was here today, so we could be close. Please cherish your time with your loved ones!

25. Cindy Righter

I lossed my mom Nov. 1987, she was only 48. I can’t believe it’s been 29 year’s. I miss her everyday, it doesn’t change, we all need our mommies at some point in our lives, and go to call her, just to remember, she’s not there. My only consolation is she’s with God, and my baby Lyssie, who I lost Oct 6, 2011 she was just 4. The pain for her loss, I have no words, I will be a peice of someone till i see them again. I would love to have my mom to talk to about everything, I’ve we
    ( my family ) have been through, you know question’s only a mom can answer. I love you mom kiss Lyssie for me, she love’s to cuddle and rock.

26. Denise

On this day i used to feel sad and ask a lot of why questions, I always read about how a mother will do anything for their child no matter what, they will die for them but I know otherwise, my mother was a prostitute and did heroin and she did not want us. So she left me and my older brother and my father who also was also a drug user put us in an orphanage. She came back to get us a month later just to put us with family who did not want us. She never came back for us. She died of a heroin overdose. It was a tough life and I always hate Mother’s Day because I am so jealous of others who had a mother who loved them. Recently I have been feeling more forgiving and feel she could of just left us at the orphanage never to be with family(no matter how bad they were). Happy Day to all the Mother’s out there and to you Stella wherever you are.

27. Maura ONeill

In a few days I will be 69, the same age as my mother when she died in May 1980. I feel a sense of victory that I have made it to the same age as she was on her last birthday. After 36 years I still miss her very much. My life has taken some unexpected twists and turns, and I hope she would have approved. I still talk to her in my heart often and know that she is still with me.

28. Debbie

I lost my mom on my daughter’s birthday. She had acute myeloid leukemia and my daughter and I cared for her for 5 months after she had been given 3 weeks to live. While I feel blessed to have had the time to spend with her it was very difficult to watch her slowly waste away. My mom, my daughter and I are all nurses; my mom spent the last 15 years of her life caring for my father who had Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s and injuries from frequent falls. Four months after my father passed away my mother was diagnosed with myelo-displasia syndrome which two months later progressed to Acute Myeloid Leukemia. I miss her every day!

29. Melissa

We lost my beautiful mom Lori at age 53 on July 14th 2015 of a sudden UNEXPECTED brain aneurysm. Just 10 days after my parents 30th wedding anniversary. This mother’s day is especially hard as its my first. Heart break does not begin to describe the pain of not only losing you mom, but best friend. I am very grateful I did not have to watch her suffer as so many have had to do. Happy Mothers Day to all that have lost their precious mommas and for those that get to enjoy their mothers hug them a little tighter tomorrow and everyday!

30. Kellyanna

My beautiful mommy claimed her crown and place in heaven on January 14,2008 after a battle with liver cancer. She was and will forever be my very best friend, we had no secrets. my life will never be the same without her. Yet she finds many ways to let me know shes a teardrop away.. through butterflies, sunshine through rain filled clouds or the smell of Chantilly perfume. . she’s always there. . thank you mommy. Happy Mother’s Day my beautiful angel above..

31. Kim Stuart

I was initially convinced this was a joke as I was 24, and my mum 47 when she died. Nearly a couple of decades on and my life is still majorly affected by her passing 😦

32. Sherecole

I was 12 my mom was 30. Single mother of six worked two jobs. She went from being healthy( as we knew it) to dead in 6 mos. She was so strong even to the end. I fed her bathe her even changed her diapers. Remember she was just 30. At just 12 I had to make the decision to remove her from life support being that her brain function was gone. I have blamed myself for yrs. I begged her not to leave me…I don’t think my heart will ever heal… Thanks for letting me express that

33. Chandra

I Lost My Mother August 13, 2013 From Metastasized Bone Cancer With The Primary Location UnKnown, Just 1 Day Shy Of 3 Months From Being Diagnosed And 4DAys Before My Father Ended Up Passing Away As Well ( Her Date Of Diagnosis Also Was Her BirthdAY And Every 7 Years, As This Year Being One, Mothers Day) And Being Almost 4 Years Now It Still Feels Like Yesterday. Special Occasions And Holidays I Avoid And Can’t Bring Myself To Celebrate And Take Part In The Festivities. I Never Know How Hard Life Would Become Without Her Here And I Can’t Seem To Figure Life Out. Im Epically Failing At It And Would Give Anything For Jus One More Day With her, One More Hug, To Hear Her Voice Once More, And Just Have Her Hold Me And To Tell Me Everything Would Be Alright.

34. Cindy

I lost my mother unexpectedly due to a blood clot a week to the day after I turned 7, in 1971. There were 6 of us between the age of 11 and 8 months old, my dad lost his best friend but we lost our whole world as we knew it. My dads mother was our saving grace and we were very close to her and she did everything she could for us, but we still didn’t have a mother! It was time to grow up quickly and help raise the younger kids and do our part. I felt cheated for many years but grew closer to my grandmother who we lost in 2015 at the age of 98, it was like losing our mother all over again! I have a son and two grandsons and I put a smile on my face for Mother’s Day and my birthday even though that is a tough day for me because the day after my birthday mom went into the hospital to have surgery and never came home! She was only 33 years old and and it was an freak anomaly the killed her. I have missed her for 45 years and some days are still harder than others!

35. Chrissie

I lost my mum on Mothers day 2004. She had been very ill for a very long time, but the actual end came much quicker than expected.
    I struggled with mother’s day for years. My daughter was 2 when mum died, so had no concept of mother’s day. As she got older, she started to ask why I cried on Mothers Day. It made me realise that although I mourn for my mum, my daughter wants to celebrate that I am her mother too.
    For a few years we released balloons for her with messages of love tied to them. Now we light candles on special days. We talk about my parents often (both are sadly missed) and keep their memory alive by sharing our memories together. Both my parents adored their granddaughter and my dad was so proud of her.
    I miss my mum so much, but agree with the post, your mother would want you to live and make the most of every day. I turned 40 just before Christmas and for a while beforehand felt angry with the world that neither she nor dad would be here to celebrate. They would have loved to come with us when we went to Liverpool in the summer to see the Beatles Story museum and tours. It was my daughter, who looks so much like my mum, who reminded me that mum was sat on my shoulder the whole time. I often sense her there, normally when I am doing something I shouldn’t. It took my 15 year old to remind me of the one thing I always told her, Nanny and Grandad are always there.
    The times I really miss are the simple times. Sitting in the lounge, drinking tea, discussing the supermarket offers, or what we watched on tv. I miss her telling me off when I bought her full priced flowers from the supermarket, just because I thought she would like them. I miss being told off for spoiling our daughter, and I miss the phone call first thing in the morning in my birthday.
    I love music. There is a quote from a Simon and Garfunkel song that I have always believed in and lived by. “Preserve your memories, they are all that’s left you”. Memories are sacred, and so important a part of the grieving process. I have 27 years of happy memories with mum, 35 with dad. We did a lot during those years, and always had fun. My memories are my treasured possession of the past. I am so grateful that I have those.

36. Karen

My mom died on January 16 of this year to Stage 4 Lung Cancer. The absence of her in my life is felt every moment of every day – she raised me as a single parent after she and my father divorced. I was 10. The sad part is that she and I had the conversation regarding any items that I wanted back when she passed – the first thing on my mind was the gift I had given her last year – a Vermont Teddy Bear – in Pink Fur. My older brother was not privy to this conversation so it is likely that I will not get it back. This year, I did something that she would have always wanted. I arranged to have an olive tree planted in Jerusalem. She visited many years ago and longed to have the entire family return. The tree will live for thousands of years and will provide for those in the area a much needed staple in their diet. I love you mom…and I will see you again.

37. Deborah

My mother has been gone for 18 years now. It never gets better, only different. But I choose to celebrate her life and not mourn her death – she would not want me to be sad. I can’t change that she is gone, but I can change how I live my life and embrace it until the day I see her again. I want to tell her stories of happiness and joy, not those of sadness and despair.

38. Damarys

I lost my mom at 22, 20 years ago and yet Im still not ready. Nobody can ever be ready to lose a mom. The feeling was so unbearable and still is til this day. She missed the birth of my children, their birthdays but it wasn’t her fault, but destiny’s. I had a dream, her telling me how good my kids were and was proud. I told her everything she taught me is within my heart especially the love she gave, the same love I give my own. I miss my mommy, wish she was here. The fact of the matter is she’s not. But it makes it easier keeping her alive through vivid moments spent with her. I wish I can hold her once again. Each time I have a dream with her I take the opportunity to do so. Mom I miss u so much, I thank you for giving me love because with love you can move mountains and that is real. 😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘

39. annelise

Sorry to hear from everyone who lost there beautiful, loving,caring mom.I lost my mom on 6April,four days before my birthday.She came to visit us and the Lord take her from our home to His Forever Home He prepair for us.I miss my mom and love her so much!

40. Nora

This is one of the realest posts I have read! Thank you so much for sharing. I loved your words and expressive thoughts. I feel the exact same way. I lost my mother November 2013 when I was 23 years old. I am now married and have a 3 month old daughter. All things my mom was stripped of seeing when breast cancer took her away from me. This being my first mother’s day I have mixed emotions. Sad, because I don’t get to celebrate with her once again and also happy to celebrating my first Mother’s Day as a mom. Guilt, anger and emptiness to add to the emotions also. I know she is smiling down over me, but I wish she could be here.

41. Esther Carrillo

Till I See You Again
    Written By Me, Esther

It wasn’t goodbye you said to me, it was till I see you again. My first Mother’s Day alone was just 11th years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday. Another is coming without you again, yes mom it gets harder every year to like this holiday without you. I’m still the one that holds her head up high, I do this cuz I can see you better. I dread going to the stores that advertise this holiday so I act like I don’t see them so I don’t have to wipe a tear away. I laugh and I smile without a care in the world but deep inside all I want to do is scream and cry and I really want to ask why. I promised you not to cuz God needed you more.
    I was once told we are given our parents only till He knew we would be need them. Many times I needed you but I know God knows I just thought I did. I get my comfort in knowing that I have no regrets and that we spoke of things we both kept.
    Till I see you again you told me because you knew goodbye was not for us. We have that bond that could not be broken, in my heart I keep like a treasured token. I asked you what would I do without you, your response was “Live life as I taught you.” You lived a beautiful life and I didn’t even know it then. I know it now but there is still much to learn from it. Your footsteps I can’t seem to catch up to, but you knew I’m supposed to take a different path. Life is rough here and I know in due time I will walk by your side. I sometimes wish this burden was not mine to bare. But you knew I was not the weak one here. I stumble and yes I fall, but back up I get to do it over again. Perfection is mine though I’m so far from it. I’m trying my best, though it doesn’t seem like it. I know you’re proud of me. I wish you were here so you can actually see, but in Heaven above is where your home is.

Till I see you again Mom, Happy Mother’s Day.

42. Audrey kendell nee ingram

I never knew my mother .She died when i was just 3 years old .A great part of my life is missing.I think about her all the time .To all of you who have had a mother to raise you & still have her in your life ;Give thanks to God . You will never know how blessed you are.untill she is gone .Mom I will see you in Heaven !!

43. Jessica

My mom left this world when I was only 2 years old I’m now almost 31,so I have no memories just pictures that ppl have given me.