Read This When You Miss Your Mom

“Have you ever lost someone you love and wanted one more conversation, one more chance to make up for the time when you thought they would be here forever? If so, then you know you can go your whole life collecting days, and none will outweigh the one you wish you had back.”

Mitch Albom, For One More Day

Losing a mother is one of the most devastating things in the world.  It happens and we somehow find the strength to go on.  The days turn into weeks, the weeks turn into months, and before we know it here we are years later, wondering how we have made it this far without them physically in our lives.  I’d like to think that when someone we love dies their body goes but their love remains.  They live on through us.  Through the things they left behind and the memories they have made.

You’ll always miss your mom but there are moments in life when you just miss her a little more than usual. You’ll miss her when you’re simply in the store shopping and you see other women shopping with their mothers.  You’ll miss her when you can’t remember that recipe she begged you to learn.  You’ll miss her when someone else loses their mom.  You’ll miss her when something great happens and she is the first person you want to call but you know if you tried, it wouldn’t be her voice on the other end.  You’ll miss her on Mother’s Day when everyone else is celebrating their mothers and you feel all alone. You’ll miss her when you’ve had a bad day and you know that her embrace is the only one that can save you.  You’ll miss her when you meet someone who reminds you or her, or has the same laugh as her, or was just as kind as her.  You’ll miss her when you’re all alone in bed crying yourself to sleep because the thought of her being gone still comes as a shock to you. You’ll miss her when you need her advice.  You’ll miss her when you no longer get to talk to her five times a day.  You’ll miss her when you hear her favorite song.  You’ll miss her when you see older women who were lucky enough to live their life that long and you’ll wonder why you mom wasn’t able to.  You’ll miss her on the holidays and you’ll miss her on her birthday when you realize that another year has passed. You’ll miss her when you wonder what she would look like years later.  You’ll miss her when you go through a horrible break up and know her words are the only ones that could ever help. You’ll miss her when you’re staring at the beautiful summer sky wondering where she is but when you miss you mom remember how much she loved you, remember that she never wanted to leave you and there is nothing in this world that she wouldn’t have done to be able to see you live out your life.  When you miss your mom, go that extra step to make her proud, live the life she wanted you to live, be the person she wanted you to be.  When you miss your mom do something to honor her, something that can bring you joy.  When you miss your mom remember the way it felt to be around her, the way she hugged you, and the way she would have done anything in the world for you.

Books Native Ad

But most importantly, when you miss your mom know that it is okay to miss somebody that much, that’s what unconditional love is and that’s what she has given you.

Check out my new book!

createspace-banner

Purchase my first book Life Goes On..?

51-xceon1bl-_sx311_bo1204203200_

7. HOW TO SURVIVE THE LOSS OF A PARENT by Lois F. Akner

51aqJA5JLPL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

8. THINGS I WISH I KNEW BEFORE MY MOM DIED by Ty Alexander

51VW2IySPYL._SY346_

35 thoughts on “Read This When You Miss Your Mom

1. Felicia

My mother died of congested heart failure June 23 2016. 30 days exactly from her granddaughters birthday July 23. She had been very I’ll for years and had truly become a prisoner in her own body. I would never ever want her to suffer but, I sure wish she was still alive. I miss knowing her heart beats like mine or that I can call her anytime I want.
    I wish I could’ve saved her.
    Happy Mother’s Day mom I love you always.

2. Pricilla Naidoo

It’s been 4 months since my mum passed on from multiple organ failure. It has been devastating for us siblings. We feel as though we have lost our way, groping in the dark for some kind of guidance.We miss the telephone calls to her or the weekly visits to her .It is going to take a long time before we can move forward and heal the emptiness we feel.

3. Alisha Danielle

I lost my mom a little over 2 weeks ago. Now looking back I feel like she was preparing me for this day. She kept forcing me, my daughter, and my nephews to take things that belonged to her. She also kept asking my aunt to find her peach suit. My aunt found that peach suit and put it on her for her services. Saturday’s was our main day to visit her & take her outside or just spend time with her. This Saturday we was lost. Didn’t know what to do now that she’s gone. Last night I cried myself to sleep. I truly never felt a heartbreak like this one. Rest well mommy……

1. Tracy Lovejoy-Kitzweger

Alisha Danielle. I understand. Saturdays was the day we went to visit my mom too. But I wasn’t able to go the last two weeks before she left us. I lost mine just a bit over a year ago. Mine was only 69. I feel like I was robbed of those addition 15-30 years I might have had left with her. I cried myself to sleep every single night for months. I had no idea the human body was capable of producing that many tears. I fell asleep crying, I woke up crying and I cried during the day too. I won’t tell you it will get easier. I remember how it felt to be just 2 weeks after. What I will tell you is that in time, the actual physical ache, the feeling like you’ve actually been punched in the stomach and your heart truly physical aches, those physical things will stop. The tears won’t As I read this article, I was crying. I’m crying as I type to you. I understand, now, now people say a person can die from a broken heart. It won’t get easier. But it will become different.

Liked by 1 person

4. Kimberly

I am 56 and loss my mom when I was 4. I miss her Every Day. Love you mommy till I see you again ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️🙏🏻

5. Jennifer

I lost my mom when I was 11. Now I am 34. She was killed instantly in a car crash that my family was also in. The memories I do have of her will never fade. Not one day goes by that I don’t think of her nor miss her. Some days are harder than others.

6. Doreen

I just have a statement to make…..both my mother and father passed away they taught myself and my sister everything… except how to live without them!!

Liked by 1 person

7. swetlife4eva

My mom passed almost 8, wow it’s been that long already and it still feels like yesterday. So much has happened since she’s gone, she even a great grandmother now. She does live on thru me, cause I hear myself telling my kids the same things she told me. The lost feelings never go away, I just learned how to deal with it everyday. Like my sister says ‘We rise like biscuits everyday​, and keep loving life as she taught us!’

8. Amy

I lost my mom two years ago and the pain feels the same. She was my best friend I told her everything got her opinion on everything. She was fine and healthy. She just past away in her sleep from a heart attack 💔😭 A day don’t pass I don’t miss her or cry over her. I try real hard for my kids and husband and my dad. But it hurts bad daily. A pain that will never go away. She was a beautiful mom and giving mom. I miss her so much. 😭💔 We wanted her longer 🙁

9. Lisa

I lost my mom September of 98 she was 59 years old. There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t miss her and think about her and one of the hardest days and worst days of my life was on May 21st 2004 when I lost my 18 year old son Justin I picked up that phone needing and wanting my mother so much only to remember that she was no longer here neither. Losing mom which one of the worst days of my life losing my 18 year old son was a million times harder.

10. Monya Denney

I lost my dad in 98 and lost my mom in 2003. I miss them both so much! I find myself sometimes missing my dad a little more. I can’t even remember his voice anymore. In time it does get better, but you still feel that emptiness inside. And sometimes it just hits me out of the blue and for a split second I remember they are gone.

11. Marnie Hutton

Reading all of your comments and stories is heartwrenching. I too lost my mother 19 years ago to a disease that finally took over her body, scleroderma. She was only 54. I too wasn’t ready for her to go, but god had a different plan. People always told me, it gets easier… It doesn’t, I may not cry everyday now, but it hurts as much today as it did the day she died. I honestly think I hurt even more today then before, maybe because I see what I’m missing watching everyone celebrate their moms. From my experience all I can say is make sure you don’t keep it in, let it out because it will eat you alive. If any of you need to talk you may use my email. I understand…

1. Allison

I lost my mom to scleroderma/polymyositis complications, related to your post and wanted to share my story with you. My Mom passed when she was 52 years old and I was 25. It hasn’t gotten any easier for me either and I constantly miss her terribly. She was my best friend and the best role model I could have had. She was a single mom and I was her only child. It was just me and her against the world. I feel like she is missing so much in my life: buying my first house, my first years of marriage, my dream job and I had to grow up so fast when she passed (I learned more about estate planning, power of attorney duties, wills than anyone should at 25). I honestly felt like I was 50… I still do sometimes. With no siblings and no family nearby, I also feel as though I lost my rock, best friend and family besides my husband in one horrible moment of one horrible day. Scleroderma is a horrible disease to watch your parent suffer from and I hope my story will bring you some comfort as your post did for me. Best Wishes.

1. Marnie Hutton

Allison, I can really relate to you. My mom was 54 and I was 29. I didn’t have to go through all of the hard stuff, like you, but my mom too had scleroderma. It is a horrible disease. I don’t have much family left that I am close to other than my sister. I live with my husband and mother-in-law. It is very hard to live with his mom, being how I don’t have one anymore. Hang in there and we are all in this together.

2. Glenna Teel

I just wanted to say thank you.. tomorrow my sweet momma will be gone a year and lord i am lost all over again ..the tears just keep coming ..i still dont know how to live without her..i hear her voice and I think I am dreaming ..i want to wake up..i want my momma back..

1. Marnie Hutton

I can totally understand that feeling. I have to be honest it doesn’t get easier we just learn how to go on. I go on each day because I have to and she would want me to. She is my heart and inspiration. I love her dearly and miss her more. Just remember you are not alone. We are here with you.

12. Christine

I lost my mom in 1981, she was 34 yrs old, I was thirteen. She found out she had cervical cancer in February of that year and passed that September. Everything I knew fell apart after that. I don’t speak to my siblings,haven’t for 20 years or more, because quite frankly, they were abusive. I have two children from my first marriage and they are terrific people. I was divorced a second time in 2015 and have a restraining order that will expire next month. I am now facing empty nest syndrome and am so alone. I’ve always identified myself as someone who lost their mother when she was young, but I never gave any thought to what kind of adult I have become and what kind of mother I have been. As I look back, I was never able to sustain any form of relationship. I now find myself with no family, no girlfriends, no parents, and now no kids living with me as I turn 50 yrs old this October. I have missed my mother EVERY SINGLE DAY of my life and now that I’m alone, I find myself missing her even more. I am stuck..I don’t know how to live without love. I don’t know how to form bonds with people and I don’t know how or even what to change.

1. Marnie Hutton

none of my business, but have you ever done any kind of grief counseling or counseling in general? I did after my mom passed away and it really truly helped me. I don’t have a lot of friends either and very little family, There is help and hope out there, maybe try and look into it if you think it might help.

13. Marykmays

It will be 27 years on August 27th. She was 63 about to turn 64 in less than 2 weeks. I miss her more everyday. She did not get to see my kids grow up, they were just babies. I still feel robbed that most of my adult life I’ve not had her. When people complain about their moms I get so angry because they have no idea how lucky they are to still have them around. Show your family love ❤️ while you still have the opportunity!

1. Marnie Hutton

Agreed, it pretty much makes me angry as well and I tell them the exact same thing, I would give anything to have my mother back don’t abuse the one you have.

14. Dana

My mom has been passed away for 27 years. And like everyone is saying it seems just like yesterday let me tell you it sure does I was only 22 when she passed away and now I am 49 she missed her grandson being born and I miss her every day I wish I could talk to her and tell her so many things. And just three years ago my fiance passed away on Valentine’s morning and once again that was the worst day of my life he had passed away in our bed but he truly passed away 7 Days Later in the hospital and I wish I had her there to talk to. I miss and love you so much Mom and someday we will be together once again until then I love you with all my heart.

15. DONNI

I was 29 when my Mother died of pancreatic cancer at age 62. I am a short two years from 62. Does it get better? We want to support and encourage others through their grief. We want to believe it asks well. We do go on with life, we have families and accomplishments joys and sorrows. We are never the same, our lives are never the same. We don’t have our mommys anymore, which is one of the last things I said to her. I was half laying on her in the hospital bed, crying, she touched my head so lightly and said “don’t cry” I sobbed “but I won’t have you anymore” she just rested her beautiful hand on my head to weak to say anything else. I miss her and think that this is an awful long time to be without a mom. I am saddened by the loss of her all the time, I still cry. I now look at my feelings as a tribute to her love for her family. She was a wonderful mom and a wonderful woman. I hope I have carried her legacy well. I love and miss you Mommy, for eternity

16. Gaye

I lost my mom 4 Tuesdays ago today. I was fortunate in that I’ve had a long life with her. She was 80; I’m 58. But I’m single, and she was my person–the one I called multiple times a day, told everything to, and did everything with. I’m totally lost. I don’t have friends, and I’m not close to my family. I haven’t gone a day without crying. My mom died 3 months after having surgery. She had multiple complications and never came home from the hospital. I wish I had died with her.

17. Joan A. ten Hoeve

June 30th will be 10 years since I lost my mother. A day doesn’t go by that I want to pick up the phone to call her, give her a hug and tell her that I love her. Life has never been the same without her smile and love. She always did for us and put herself on the back burner. Rest in peace mom. You will no longer have pain or suffer

18. K

I was so fortunate to have such a wonderful mother for so long. She passed away in April at the age of 97, but it still wasn’t long enough to have her here with us. Luckily she was healthy for the most part up until the last few weeks and died at home in my arms after a brief hospital stay. All 4 of her children lived close, my brother living with her and the rest of us visiting whenever we could but I still feel guilty for the times I knew she was alone or lonely. She was always happy to see us and spend time with her family. I thank God she didn’t suffer and that she is with my dad again but I miss them in my life everyday.

19. June

My mom died March 2015 It has been hard to live with out her. I saw her every day I talked to her every day and i still do talk to her every day but it is not the same. She is with my dad and my sister. The grief never goes away. I always see things or hear things that remind me of her. I have so much to tell her that has happened in the last 2 yrs. I just miss her so much….

1. Marnie Hutton

You are really going through a lot June. I am very sorry for all of your losses. I hope you have someone around you that can help you through all of this. Take care

20. Carla Brett-Hightower

It’s has been so many years gone buy. I still cry at times. It hurts not to feel her hugs and here her voice. I look at pictures and find laughter in telling stories of my childhood. I just long to here her voice

21. Simone G Sills

My mom passed away a month ago, on Oct 9. Words can’t describe the feelings. It was so unexpected…she had high blood pressure but other than that was healthy. No red meat, fried foods, she stopped smoking over 30 years ago. She came home from a dentist appointment and said she didn’t feel well. Had all the signs of a heart attack but I missed it! She laid down for a nap, got up and said her chest hurt, I felt her back to see how she was breathing, and told her I’d make her another cup of tea. She stood up and collapsed on our floor. It’s a nightmare that replays in my mind every day.

22. Barbara J.Norris

I lost my mother 32 yrs ago and there is not a day that goes by that I don’t think of her. She was the light of our family. As one by one we got married, still she was always there. I talked to her at 2:00pm and at 7:00pm she was with the Lord. So suden….the light was turned out. I love her as much today as back then. I will never forget Her……

23. Rebecca Johnson

I lost my mother October 7th 2016. She was 59 years old. It was completely unexpected and tragic as she died in her home during a hurricane here in S Florida and no emergency services were available to us. My husband and my brother in law drove out in the storm when we were called and told she was unconscious to try to save her. I have relived this nightmare every day since as has my husband.
    My daughter was almost 3 when her grandmother died. I grieve for both of us.
    I thank all of you for sharing and revealing your journeys as I try to find strength and healing in mine. This is a club I never wanted to join and certainly not at the age of 43.
    I still have not found my new normal. I just go on missing her desperately every day.